Friday, September 18, 2009

A Moment

I am moved to share with you what I experienced today. I know most of you have seen or even been in this type of experience and know its not one you wish upon anyone.

As I was contemplating on what to eat for lunch I knew it was a Wendy's kind of day. I can't remember the last time I have even eaten there, but the prego craving kicked in and my mind was made up. As I realized another errand was in demand to do today I was motivated even more to get Wendy's which was on the way. I approached the freeway with caution and headed toward my craved destination.

I had my cell phone in my hand thinking it was the usual time to call Mike. My thought was interrupted by a swerving white SUV that fishtailed then violently rolled and flipped about 5x to the right. A dust cloud, screeching brakes, and a "oh my gosh" rang in my ears. I immediately pulled over and called 911. As others and myself with phone in hand came up the vehicle we realized the man was coherent. Well kinda.

I won't go into details about what condition he was was in. I realized the victims sister and bother in law were in the car behind him and saw the whole thing just like me. As my rusty spanish kicked in I was communicating between them and those helping their brother in law. I saw good people helping along with those that are trained to help. As I was witnessing the firemen cutting open the drivers door like opening a can a tuna with a really bad can opener my thoughts reflected on an old friend.

My friend Matt is a fireman. He comes from a family of firemen. A family that will always be in my heart. I remember him going to college for EMT, and learning of his graduation from the fire academy when I was serving a mission. I admired him and still do with the choice of being one that helps people for a living. I remember moments after the mission and getting calls from the station he was at. Those were the calls that came late and I knew it was because he needed someone to talk to. One of those times that something he witnessed had really shook him up. I knew at those moments he was human and delicate.

As a helicopter was in order for this gentleman and still communicating with EMT to where he was going the emotions flowed from his family. I hugged and gave what I could to comfort them. They felt helpless and were scared for their brother. My statement was written down and things got cleaned up. Directions to the hospital were explained and a last hug of comfort was given.

I got back in the car reflecting on what happened. The whole thing happened so fast. My thoughts turned to 2 things.

1. It is so hot. Why does it have to be 100 degrees in the middle of September? I think us Arizonans are waiting not so patiently for cooler weather.
2. I really don't put a religious point of view in every experience I have, but this time I did. I realized how fragile life is. My focus turned to the Plan of Salvation. Why we are here, what is our purpose on this earth, and what happens to us when we leave this earth.

A prayer was in my heart to protect me and keep me safe and comfort to those involved. I was calm the whole time which was needed since I am 6months pregnant. I was thankful to a Heavenly Father that helped me communicate since there was no other person there that spoke spanish.

And lastly, going to Wendy's didn't seem so important.

2 comments:

Davis said...

It is ridiculous how emotional I am lately, but thanks for the moving story. I am sitting at my desk and crying. :) Anyways, I am very impressed with you and how you handled the situation. I love you so much!

RPH said...

Great post! You are quite the writer.

You handled the situation well. Love ya.